Sunday, March 3, 2013

Fruits of the Vine

I like wine. It is a wonderful and sophisticated drink whose history treads across the many pages of the Bible. Jesus Himself referred to vines and wines and vineyards. One of the most important scriptural references was this: "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." (John 5:15)

I realized lately how much fruit God is bearing in me. Unfortunately, every time I rely on my own strength, I cut myself off from the vine and shrivel and die. Like a rose, I can be cut from a rose plant and be placed in a vase. For a while, I will drink water and stay beautiful. But my beauty will be short-lived. I have no roots and no way to grow. I can stay aline for a little more time only. I will soon fade and die.

And that is how I am with God when I stop "abiding" in Him. I need God to provide the roots I need to survive, to grow, to thrive, and to produce more fruit; more beauty. But here is a secret of the grape vine. When a branch is cut from the vine, it can be put back on through grafting. Soon, the living part will mesh with the branch and continue to provide for its nutrition and water. And that branch will continue to live as long as it remains in the vine.

Today, Lord, I want to remain in You and in turn, you will remain in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment